How To Play Craps
Craps is probably one of the most ‘fun’ games you can play in the casino. It is a bit complicated to get to grips with at the start, but there is a lot of money on offer because craps offers some of the best odds out of all casino games.
Craps in an actual casino is going to be a touch different to playing online, mainly because craps in an actual casino is going to be a bit more ‘social’, but the principle of the game is the same. We are going to talk a little bit about how you can play craps on this page.
The Craps Table
The table looks very convoluted. However, we promise you, it is not as difficult to understand as you may think. There is:
- A pass line. This is for those on the side of the shooter (more on that in a second)
- Don’t pass line for those who bet against the shooter.
- An area for one-roll bets. This is where you bet on a specific roll.
- Field this is for your one roll bets on whether one of seven different numbers will turn up next (2,3,4,10,11,12). Above that, you will find boxes which say ‘4,5,Six, 8, Nine, and 10’. This is where you can place bets before the next seven.
- Big 6 and Big 8 will be on the corners of the table.
For every game of craps, there must be a shooter. You can play the role of the shooter if you want, although many people start off as one of the players.
Before the first roll (this is known as a ‘come out’ roll), the shooter needs to place a bet on the pass line. They must meet the table minimum. Other players may then place bets, although there is no need to. The following may then happen:
- The shooter may roll a 7 or an 11. If this happens, the pass line gains even money. Those that bet on the don’t pass line will lose their money.
- If it is a 2, 3 or 12, we have a situation known as ‘craps’. Everybody on the pass line loses their money. Everybody on the don’t pass line wins their money.
- If the number is anything else, it becomes a ‘point’ and a mark will be made on the table.
- If there is a point, then all the bets remain in place. You do not need to make any additional bets, although you can do so if you wish.
If there is a point, the goal of the shooter is to roll a number which matches the point number. They must do this before they roll a seven.
Those on the pass line will win if the shooter rolls the point number before a seven. If the seven is rolled before the point number, then those on the pass line lose (the opposite, of course, occurs for those who are on the don’t pass line)
Now, it does not matter what number the shooter is rolling unless it is a number which matches the point or the 8. They could have dozens of rolls before the winner has been decided.
Once the game is over, the dice are passed to the next shooter. It will normally go around the table when you are in a real casino. It will be dependent on the software you are using when you are online.
Now, one of the most intriguing things about the game of craps is that there is a bet that you can make which has no house edge.
This is the ‘odds bet’. This is where a person can bet beyond the pass line.
This will give you your true odds, or at least it should do. It, again, is going to be dependent on the casino you are playing on. In most cases, the amount you can bet on the odds bet will be limited. The odds are as such:
- If the point is 4 or 10, the odds will be 2 to 1
- If it is 5 or 9, the odds will be 3 to 2
- If the point is 6 to 8, it will be 6 to 5.
Craps Betting Strategies
Craps, like most casino games, is going to be a game of luck. There is no way in which you can 100% guarantee that you are going to win.
Of course, if you want to increase the odds of winning, then you should bet on the ‘don’t pass’, at least when you are in an actual casino. The odds are in your favour a little bit more.
When you are gambling online, at least for the first time, focus your bets on the ‘pass’ line. You should win more often than not. Once you get used to this, you can move onto the odds bet.
Craps Playing Strategy
There is a bit more to craps than what you see listed on this page. We suggested that you check out one of the bonus offers below and have a game of craps online at one of the top websites which also offer free play games.
Get familiar with the way the game works. We promise you, it is going to be far easier to understand than we have made out here! Once you have placed a couple of bets, you will know what is going on.